ContentWatch MDM: Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ #1: What does ContentProtect MDM do?
ContentProtect MDM allows you to change the configurations and settings of Android and iOS devices within your organization--without having to physically touch the device. As a result, your IT staff reduce the time and effort required to support and configure mobile devices. It also allows you to place restrictions or to enforce policies on mobile devices that you otherwise could not implement or enforce.
ContentProtect MDM is a complete management tool for Internet usage on mobile devices. As part of the offering, Content Filtering is included; this feature can apply policies to categories and content of Internet sites you wish to block or to monitor and a reporting tool shows the details of categories and sites accessed by date and time.
Additionally, ContentProtect MDM is an administration tool to manage applications and accounts on mobile devices. This ensures that employees are productive and have the accounts and tools they need to effectively use their mobile device to fulfill job responsibilities. This also eliminates the need for employees to bring you their device to get it working using company resources.
ContentProtect MDM is a security tool. It can help safeguard personal and confidential data on the managed mobile devices in your organization. This tool helps limit the liabilities your organization faces by permitting employees to use their device for work and personal purposes.
FAQ #2: What are some examples of the features in ContentProtect MDM?
ContentProtect MDM provides the most commonly used MDM features and couples them with Content Filtering for Android and iOS devices.
Some of the most well-known features are:
Remote lock and wipe: Allows you to lock the device and/or delete personal data if the device is lost or stolen.
Remote locate: Allows you to remotely turn on the device GPS and then locate it on Google Maps to identify its location. Note: This feature requires an app be pushed via the MDM to the device to support this functionality.
Remote Account Management: Allows you to remotely configure accounts on Android and iOS devices. Some examples are:
- Remotely setup, change or remove Wi-Fi settings and access keys on mobile devices.
- Remotely establish a security policy enforce screen lock and strict passwords.
Remote Restrictions: Allows administrators to restrict access to portions of Android and iOS device settings or to lock out features. Some examples are:
- Locking the settings portion of the device so a user cannot change settings or accounts on the device.
- Removing access to apps such as YouTube, Safari or the device Camera.
- Requiring users to establish an unlock password on the device.
- Restricting access to voice or data servers when a device is in a “roaming” area.
Application Management: Allows an administrator to manage and report on the apps installed on the Android and iOS devices. Allows you to push and pull apps to managed devices, eliminating the need for a user to “bring you the device” to add an app or to make a change. Some of the common uses are:
- Remotely view a report of all apps running on an Android or iOS device.
- Remotely install an authorized or approved app on an Android or iOS device.
- Remotely uninstall or block an app on a device.
FAQ #3: There are many MDM solutions available today, what differences or benefits does ContentProtect MDM provide?
- ContentProtect MDM is fully managed in the cloud. No hardware is required.
- ContentProtect MDM is very easy to start using. Other MDM solutions require a lengthy process of generating a certificate for your organization. ContentProtect MDM has eliminated many of the steps that other MDM providers require, and you can start using the service in as little as 5 minutes, with no setup fees.
- ContentProtect MDM support iOS and Android devices in a single console that is hosted in the cloud. Group policies allow cross-platform management and reporting.
- ContentProtect MDM includes Content Filtering, along with all its other MDM features. Filtering gives administrators full control of the content accessed on the mobile device and complete visibility of the devices' Internet usage.
- ContentProtect MDM is designed to be cost effective and does not require any upfront fees.
FAQ #4: What kinds of things for Application Distribution, Application Publishing, or Application Management can ContentProtect MDM provide? Can I use it to publish custom apps I write for my organization?
ContentProtect MDM will provide a full “inventory” or listing of all the apps installed on each managed Android and iOS device. This report includes the name of the app, the date installed, version and the amount of storage space the apps consumes on the mobile device.
ContentProtect MDM gives administrators the ability to push custom apps to managed devices, as well as apps found in the iTunes App store. Apps that are pushed out through ContentProtect MDM are called “managed apps.” These apps can be installed automatically on any managed mobile device.
Organizations can write custom apps and push those to their users directly through ContentProtect MDM. This service eliminates the need to publish the apps in the iTunes App store, and allows the app to be private-- only accessed on devices the administrator is managing.
Administrators can also purchase commercial apps via the iTunes App store in bulk and distribute these apps directly through ContentProtect MDM to their managed mobile devices.
ContentProtect MDM also supports revoking or removing any managed apps. This means you can uninstall an app from a device remotely and silently with no interaction on the part of the user.
Note: Administrators can block any app on any Android device. iOS requires the app be “managed” via the MDM to support blocking.
FAQ #5: There are a lot of free solutions out there that already provide Lock/Wipe/Locate. Why should I pay for ContentProtect MDM?
ContentProtect MDM provides many other features and benefits not available in free apps.
In addition to the extra features contained in ContentProtect MDM, some other key benefits are:
- A centralized console for managing all devices from a single account.
- Consolidated and detailed reporting for all devices in a single location.
- A single solution for both Android and IOS devices.
FAQ #6: Does ContentProtect MDM require that I install some kind of app from iTunes?
ContentProtect MDM requires no software installation at all on iOS devices. After you have established an MDM account in the ContentProtect MDM Service, you can add any iOS device to the group of devices you are managing by simply opening a mobile web browser on the device you wish to manage, and visiting a single URL. When you visit this URL, you are asked if you wish to manage the device as part of your MDM. If you accept, the device will be fully managed via the cloud-based console without a need to physically access the device ever again.
Note: ContentProtect MDM for Android requires that a small and free application be installed on the Android device before an Admin may begin managing it via the ContentProtect MDM management console. This App is linked to directly from the ContentProtect MDM console page and a link to the file is also included in email and text message enrollment invitations.
FAQ #7: After an Android or iOS device is setup as part of the ContentProtect MDM management group, is it stuck in that state forever?
When a device is setup as part of ContentProtect MDM management, that process is referred to as enrollment. There is a secure profile installed on the device; this profile can only be removed in 2 ways.
- The Admin can remove the profile remotely via the ContentProtect MDM management console.
- A user can remove the profile through the device settings, but must know the “removal” password identified by the ContentProtect MDM administrator through the ContentProtect MDM management console.
After the ContentProtect MDM profile is removed, the device returns to the state it was originally in before enrolling it.
FAQ #8: Do I need any special tools or software to use the Cloud Based ContentProtect MDM Admin Console?
ContentProtect MDM is managed entirely via web browser; the web browser must support Java Script and have an Internet connection. Management for all MDM services is done at http://mdm.contentwatch.com.
FAQ #9: How is ContentProtect MDM priced?
ContentProtect MDM is a subscription-based service. Pricing is based on the number of devices managed and is calculated per month (or per year) for the subscription service. You can add additional devices to your subscription at any time.
FAQ #10: Can I try it out? Is there a trial period?
ContentProtect MDM is available on a trail basis for up to 5 devices for 14 days. This process can be setup through the ContentProtect MDM sales team. For evaluations, please contact email@example.com
FAQ #11: How does the Content Filtering get applied on iOS and Android devices?
As part of the enrollment process, ContentProtect MDM will install a new, fully functional and managed web browser to the mobile device. This browser will be listed among the installed apps on the device and is called “SecureBrowser.” Along with installing the new browser, ContentProtect MDM will remove Safari on iOS devices and block the default browser for all Android devices.
ContentProtect MDM includes customizable filtering policies that can manage the types of websites, categories of web content and appropriate times devices can access the Internet. Changes to these policies are made directly in the cloud-based ContentProtect MDM portal and are instantly applied to the enrolled devices. The ContentProtect MDM console also shows detailed Internet usage reports for each managed Android or iOS device.
Note: For customers that don’t wish to use Content Filtering, this feature can be disabled.