Net Nanny for iOS - FAQ
1. How do I install Net Nanny for iOS?
Important: Prior to installing Net Nanny Family Protect Pass for iOS you must have a current subscription to a Net Nanny Family Protection Pass. If you do not yet have a subscription to the Net Nanny Family Protection Pass, follow the steps below:
- From the IOS device you wish to protect, find the Net Nanny Family Protect Pass app in iTunes and tap the "Get" option then Tap "Install."
- Tap Open, and Accept
- You will now be asked to login with your account credentials - click Continue - In order to install Net Nanny Family Protect Pass for iOS you must already have a subscription to one of the Family Protection Pass options at Netnanny.com.
- If you do not, then you will need to purchase one before continuing with the installation.
- If you have a Family Protection Pass subscription, but do not have enough seats available to install on your iOS devices you will need to upgrade prior to installation.
- Once you are signed in, you will be asked to "Add Users." You can create a new User for the iOS device, or simply select an existing User (that you want protected on the device) and select "Link User."
- The settings will then update and apply to your mobile device
- Once those settings are done the Net Nanny Family Protect Pass app will initialize and give you instructions on blocking other browsers and apps. (See FAQ #2 to block other browsers). After tapping "continue" you will see the web page google.com.
Net Nanny Family Protect Pass is now setup and you can safely use the app for Internet surfing.
2. What can I do to keep my kids from using Safari or another mobile web browser instead of Net Nanny Family Protect Pass for iOS?
To ensure a device is protected, Net Nanny Family Protect Pass for iOS should be the only browser installed and the only available browser on the mobile device. Instructions on how to do this are presented on the screen immediately after installation; you can always find them within the App by going to "Settings" or "About".
First remove any other installed mobile browsers, and then disable Safari by following these simple steps:
- From the main iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch screen, choose the "Settings" option.
- Tap on "General."
- Next, choose "Restrictions." Turn this feature on if it is not already enabled. **Important- you will also be required to enter or create a 4-digit passcode.
- In the Restrictions menu, under the "Safari" option, you will drag the slider to "OFF." This removes Safari from view.
- In this Restrictions menu, there are other important features you can shut off as well including content ratings, YouTube, iTunes downloads, and installing other applications.
3. What versions of iOS does the Net Nanny Family Protect Pass app support?
Net Nanny Family Protect Pass supports versions 8 and higher.
4. How do I get customer service support for Net Nanny Family Protect Pass for iOS?
You can contact our support group by:
- Phone - 1-800-485-4008 Monday - Friday 8am to 5pm MT
- Email - email@example.com
- Ticket - Netnanny.com/support/
- Chat - Available Monday - Friday from 9am to 5pm MT
5. Will Net Nanny Family Protect Pass for iOS work on any iOS phone or tablet?
Net Nanny Family Protect Pass works on all iOS devices with version 8 or higher
6. How much disk space will Net Nanny Family Protect Pass use on my iOS device?
The Net Nanny Family Protect Pass app currently uses approximately 80 MB of space on the mobile device it is protecting.
7. How do I make changes to Net Nanny for iOS User Settings once its installed?
After the initial installation, you can make changes to the settings for your protected iOS device(s) from any web browser. You do not need to have the protected device in your hand to view or change its settings. Simply login to the Administration Console at http://admin.netnanny.com or go to the Net Nanny website and select "Login" from the top right corner of the page. Login using the email and password created when you purchased your Family Pass.
8. Can I prevent my child from accessing a specific website with Net Nanny Family Protect Pass?
Yes, with Net Nanny Family Protect Pass you can block or allow any specific website. Just go to http://admin.netnanny.com, click on "Users" and select the User. Under the "Allow/Block" tab, click on "Always Blocked" and enter the site. Net Nanny 7 for Windows works the same way
9. Can I block Facebook and YouTube with Net Nanny for iOS?
In order to block access to those websites, use the instructions outlined in #8. Unfortunately Net Nanny for iOS does not currently have the ability to allow for App Management.
10. Can't my kids just install or use another mobile browser to get around Net Nanny Family Protect Pass for iOS?
See instruction in #2 for setting restrictions on your iOS device which will remove the ability for your User to install or use another browser on their device.
11. What will prevent a user from uninstalling the Net Nanny Family Protect Pass app?
See instruction in #2 for setting restrictions on your iOS device which will remove the ability for your User to remove apps from their device.
12. What is the difference between the free trial and the paid version of Net Nanny for iOS?
There is no trial available for Net Nanny for iOS, you must have a paid subscription to either the Family Protection Pass 5-pack, 10-pack or 15-pack.
13. When I make a change to the settings for Net Nanny in the Administration Console, how long before it is applied to the phone or tablet that the Net Nanny Family Protect Pass app is protecting?
Changes made in the Administration Console to the settings of Net Nanny are applied within a minute to the device — if the device is connected to Internet. If a device is not connected to the Internet, the changes are immediately applied the next time the device connects to the Internet.
14. What is a "User" and why do I need to create Users?
Net Nanny for iOS associates settings with a "User." Users do not necessarily need to represent a single person, and can be named anything that will help you recognize the settings for the person or group you wish to protect. Net Nanny for iOS allows you to create as many "Users" as you like. Each User can have custom settings for allowed/blocked/warned websites and categories of websites and many other customizations. Users are inactive until you "Link" or associate them with a device that has the Net Nanny Family Protect Pass app installed. This is done on the "Devices" tab of the Administration Console.
15. I created a User and applied settings to the User but it is not being applied on the mobile device. What could be wrong?
A new User's settings will not be applied to a mobile device until that User is associated (or "linked") with a device that has the Net Nanny Family Protect Pass app installed.
- To link a User, login to the Administration Console and select the "Devices" tab.
- Click on the device you would like to associate with the User.
- Click the "Registered User" dropdown menu and select the User you would like to associate with that device, then click "Save."
That User's settings will automatically be applied to the device within 60 seconds (if the device is connected to the Internet). If the device is not connected to the internet, the changes are applied the next time the device connects.
16. What is a custom category and why might I use one?
Custom categories are powerful advanced features that allow an Administrator to customize the way the Net Nanny Family Protect Pass app filters web pages. They can be used to create "whitelists" and "blacklists" for the entire family, or for specific users. You can even assign different actions to different Users for the same custom category. Creating and managing custom categories is fast and easy.
- To block certain URLs for specific Users, create a new custom category and assign that category to the specific users you would like to block.
- First, click on the "Overrides" tab, then select the "Custom Categories " sub-tab.
- Click on the "Create Category" button and enter a Name and description (optional) for the category. (As an example, you might select "Our Kids Blocked Sites" for the name and "Sites we dont want our kids to visit" for the description.)
- Uncheck the box that says "All Users" and choose "Select Users."
- Then select the users you would like this category to apply to and press "Save."
**By default, the new category action is set to "Allow"; change this setting by selecting the User and changing the action for this new category to "Block." These same steps can be performed for Allow and Warn actions.
17. What happens when a category is set to "warn"?
The "Warn" action allows the user a chance to avoid a potentially objectionable site. If a category is set to Warn, when a user browses to a page that contains content of that category, a warning page similar to the Net Nanny Family Protect Pass block page will be displayed. It will notify the user that the page they are about to visit contains content that is potentially objectionable. The user can then choose to ignore the warning and proceed to the page or press "Back" in order to return to the previous page. This category is useful for parents who wish to allow their children a little more leeway on the Internet and give them the opportunity to make responsible decisions.
18. What does "masking" do in the Profanity category?
Profanity Masking will replace profanity or vulgar words on a web page with a string of characters such as "###." This will allow the page to load, but prevents the user from seeing the profanity. Note that many pages that contain profanity also contain other mature content that may still cause the page to be blocked by Net Nanny.
19. Will Net Nanny Family Protect Pass work on WiFi, 3G & 4G?
Yes. the Net Nanny Family Protect Pass app will filter web pages over WiFi , 3G, 4G, Edge, and all other mobile networks.
20. How do I uninstall the Net Nanny Family Protect Pass app?
Please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205347 for instructions.
21. When I click on links in my email nothing happens, why?
Unfortunately Apple does not allow a third-party browser (including the Net Nanny Family Protect Pass app) to open when you click hyperlinks within emails, texts, or apps. Instead, you must copy the hyperlink URL and paste it into the Net Nanny Family Protect Pass address bar. You can copy any hyperlink URL by long tapping on the link and then selecting "copy." Then within the Net Nanny Family Protect Pass app, long tap on the address bar and select "paste." Apple has established this limitation for all browsers except Safari.